Monday, March 26, 2018

Author Interview -- Laura M Baird

Another newbie author for me, I hope you enjoy getting 
to know Laura M Baird!



I'm a voracious reader myself, hoping to bring you years of joyous and thought-provoking stories filled with excitement and fun; sexy romance, laughter, and emotion. 
Hubby and I enjoy watching our grown sons walk their path into adulthood. We're always up for an adventure, and hope to one day fill our passports with stamps from Canada, Scotland, and Fiji. 
I love to engage with readers and writers, so join the fun here, on Facebook, or Twitter!




What is something that you wish you knew when you first started writing that would have been great to know now?
Since I still consider myself and emerging author, having been published less than a year, I'm still learning - A LOT! ;)  But knowing that reviews are so important would have been nice to know sooner; soliciting reviewers.
Have you ever based a character on a real person just so you could decide their fate (whether it be good or bad)?
Not entirely.  I've based some characters on people I know; given them some qualities those people have.
What are three words that would describe your writing style?
Linear, anal, copious notes!  I tend to write from start to finish and am anal about proofreading - making it perfect from the start.  I'm starting to loosen up a bit; and I find myself going back and forth, adding more detail here and there.
Where is your favorite writing spot?
In my office at my computer.
What is a must when you are writing? Food? Quiet? A furry friend?
Mostly quiet; I need to concentrate.  On a few rare occasions I've pulled up music on Youtube when it pertains to my story.
What is the most research you have ever had to dig into with a character or plot?
Great timing on the question, as I'm currently writing a paranormal, and doing tons of research on Native American Indians, legends, and names.  I love research, and can easily get lost in it!
What is the one thing that you have immediately regretted googling when you were researching?
I honestly can't say I've regretted anything yet... but given time, I'm sure I'll stumble upon something! ;)
If you could bring any one of your "book worlds" or another authors to reality, whose would it be?
Oh boy, so many great choices, but I'd have to say Donna Grant's Dragon Kings.  Her series dealing with Dragons, Warriors, Fae, Druids, Reapers... amazing!
Currently reading anything?
Several! Donna Grant's latest in the Dragon King series  -Heat. And Roxanne St. Claire's Barefoot in Lace.
Favorite Genre?
ANYTHING romance of course, whether it's contemporary, suspenseful, or paranormal.
First Ugly Cry?
Hmm... probably one in Darynda Jones' Charlie Davidson Grave series.  So emotional.
First Book Boyfriend?
The first that comes to mind is Aiden Gallagher from Nora Roberts' Jewels of the Sun.  I could just picture myself running off to Ireland and meeting the handsome stranger with the lilting voice.
First Cliffhanger that drove you crazy till the next book?
I try not to read cliffhangers, but every one of Darynda Jones' has me yearning for the next one when a book ends!
Favorite Author(s)?
So many!  Nora Roberts has to top the list, as I started out with her.  Donna, Grant, Rachel Grant, Toni Anderson, Laura Kaye, Rebecca Zanetti, Roxanne St. Claire... I could go on! ;)
A Villain/Bad Guy that you rooted for?
Still rooting for Ulrik in Donna Grant's Dragon King series.
THE book or author that started your dream of writing?
Nora Roberts, Montana Sky
A character that you saw a lot of yourself in?
Ho boy... I honestly cannot pinpoint one particular character, as I've come across many (and of course none come to mind) other than the feeling that I could relate to them.  Whether it be their shyness, their struggles at times, their desire to do more...
Do you collect paperbacks or do your prefer your kindle?
Both, but I have read more on my kindle than I probably have in paperback.
Signed paperbacks, do you read them or are they on the shelf and never opened?
Definitely read!  I couldn't imagine having a book and not reading it! ;)
Pet Peeves?
In general - horrible drivers! Inconsiderate people.  Cliff hangers!
Favorite Restaurant that has a drive thru?
Dairy Queen
Favorite Color?
Really depends on my mood and time of year, but probably orange
Celebrity Crush?
Keanu Reeves forever and always; lately, John Krazinski
Collect anything?
Rocks or shells from any place I visit, and I always give some to my mom.
The beach or the mountains?
Sheesh - I love both!  But mostly the beach.
What is your spirit animal?
Unicorn! ;)
If you could travel anywhere, where would it be?
Scotland, New Zealand, Fiji
If I wasn't afraid I would?
Sing a duet with Dierks Bentley or Adam Levine
Someday I want to?
Definitely travel more; would love to open an animal sanctuary
You have to give up ONE for a whole week, which is it?
Phone
Access to any form of book.
I can't do that, you're crazy!

What is the weirdest place you have ever done the "deed"?
Hubby and I did have sex on the beach on our honeymoon... not sure that counts as weird.


Thank you so much Laura M Baird for answering these!!

I am always looking for new authors.  If you would like to answer one of our interviews, email me at romancingthepages@gmail.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment